Thursday, June 2, 2011

"A Long Journey Home" book review




I received an advanced copy of "A Long Journey Home" by Margaret Robinson from The Library Things early reviewers. This is my review of this memoir of the mother of Augusten Burroughs'.
Having read Augusten Burroughs memoir, I was curious to see his mothers story. Since I found “Running With Scissors” a rather disturbing book and one I have been cautious to whom I recommended it to, I knew Margaret’s story would be a difficult one. Many others have been critical of Margaret saying she is trying to justify her actions or that her description of life doesn’t really gel with her sons books. Everyone has their take on their life and even siblings raised in the same house will remember things differently.
I read her story with an open mind wanting to hear her side of the story and try to understand her feelings. It is helpful to read how she perceived her upbringing and how her parents treated her. I am sure her mother would feel she was misunderstood by Margaret also.
That being said, I do feel a respect for Margaret that she has been able to overcome so many obstacles and remain positive. Mental illness is after all a disease of the brain and maybe some of her memories or stories are eschewed but they are how she remembers them.
I did find the writing choppy and sometimes hard to follow. It took me several weeks to finish because it was a hard story to want to read about and sometimes the story seems to drag. I am glad I read it and felt much more positive at the end than I did with “Running With Scissors”.
Margaret’s story is one you should read if you want to understand mental illness especially if you have someone in your life that is affected with it. The lesson I think you can take from this book is that we must embrace who we are, be true to ourselves and respect others for who they are.


If you would like to read more of Margaret and her poetry please visit her web page here

http://www.margaretrobison.com/home.htm

3 comments:

  1. You enticed me to read this story. TY for sharing.

    Have a beautiful pink week ~
    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmm.... I think she was brave for being willing to share her side. And brave for not killing her son for tellign all. I see that you have Thirteenth Tale. Do you love it? I sure do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she was brave for being willing to share her side. And brave for not killing her son for telling all. I see that you have Thirteenth Tale. Do you love it? I sure do.

    ReplyDelete