Sunday, December 12, 2010

How NOT to test your dogs shock collar

So, Today I was planning on doing some over due cleaning.
Cooper had other ideas.
As I kept on doing my work, Cooper kept on whining. His whine is more like a whistle through his nose.
It's a dogs equivalent to your child saying Mom, mom, mom, mommy, hey mom, mom.
It can become really annoying. Like this morning.

Now, last night it snowed, the temperatures dropped and going outside wasn't high on my list, at least not until after I got my work done since a long walk in the cold makes me sleepy.
I kept working and he kept... whistling.
(sigh)
Who wants to clean house anyway
so, I called my walking friend and she was ready for the trek to the quarry.

The quarry in summer

Today it did not look like this.

Anyway, back to the walk prep. I had to put layers and layers on, find my headband to cover my ears and put on my cool orange boots that are great in water. We had lots of rain yesterday before the snow started so I knew we would have to walk through a lot of water.

During all of this, Cooper's excitement escalated! He knows my walking clothes. He proceeds to jump and bark and get all excited.
I hate this and just want to hurry up and get on the road so he will stop.

I have to explain here that we use the "Pet Safe" electronic pet containment system, which is a very nice system by the way. But early on, the actual shock freaked Cooper out to where he wouldn't leave the porch, so I turned off the shock part because just hearing the tone sent him running back with in the boundary. Well, over the past year he has figured out that the shock wasn't coming and has been wandering the neighborhood stealing other dogs bones. (Another story for another blog). I had to change the settings last week to put on the shock. I didn't want him getting hit by a car or going to dogie jail for theft.
I wanted to get the point across so I didn't start with whimpey 1 or 2
I went up to the next to last level #5!
I don't believe in wasting time teaching a lesson.

Well, in my hurry to stop the excitement my dog was experiencing I forgot to take off his shock collar....Woopsie!

As I began to back out of the driveway Cooper began to yelp very loudly and persistently. Over and over and over.
OMG!! I forgot the collar, I had on thick gloves so I couldn't get it undone.
He kept yelping, I started to panic.
I drove forward back into the boundary but it wouldn't stop!
Finally I got it off and out of the car, because even though it wasn't on his neck anymore the sound was freaking him out.
I got back in the car and he was trembling. I felt so bad. Did I traumatize my poor baby? Was he going to have a stroke?

Nah. After we pulled out on the road he began his excited whistle, whine of excitement about going to the quarry, which he loves.

Please don't turn me in to the dogie police. I love my dog and hate that this happened but I have to tell you I was laughing quite a lot as I retold the story to my husband when we got home and now I am sure the shock part is working.
Don't worry, we had a nice long relaxing nap on the couch when we got home.
He is a very pampered dog.

5 comments:

  1. Love the new blog look - I thought I was the only one who did this sort of thing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, you had me laughing at one point, then on the brink of tears the next. Sooo glad he's okay, I can only imagine your panic trying to get that thing off of him..look at em..he looks pampered and I think he forgives you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, he looks so relaxed!

    http://bottleblack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my golly........your dog and mine would get along just great! And to answer your question, YES you could wear a sweater cuff and look very, very hip, Eccentric lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went over this website and I believe you have a lot of wonderful information, saved to my bookmarks Most powerful shock collar for dogs

    ReplyDelete