Sunday, August 1, 2010

Some Favorites


Last night while finishing my book by Geraldine Brooks we were watching Palladia and I found a new favorite blues artist. Joe Bonamassa.
http://www.jbonamassa.com/
If you like Clapton or Stevie Ray Vaughn then you need to check this young man out. I had an ITunes card I had not used yet from my Speedy Rewards so I immediately went and down loaded his cd from the Royal Albert Hall. I will be jamming for a few days!



Now back to Geraldine. She is now one of my favorite authors.
I chose People of the Book for my Book Club last year. I knew it would give us lots to discuss. I enjoyed her style of writing so when I found March in my local used book store I decided to give it a try. Well, I was not disappointed.
Back to the used book store to see what else she might have of Geraldine's and I got The Year of Wonders. I just love the style with which she gives her characters a voice. Her style is easy to read and she includes facts that gives you the desire to find out more. I do enjoy historical fiction so these 3 books satisfy my desire to learn about things in the past while enjoying a story to go along with it.

Another artist I have just found in the folksy type genre is Peter Bradley Adams. I found him on facebook on a pop up! Take a listen to I Can Not Settle Down.
http://www.peterbradleyadams.com/
I really like Patty Griffen her lyrics give me lots to think about as I listen to her beautiful songs.
http://www.pattygriffin.com/
I suggest you listen to Heavenly Day, Up to the Mountain.

One more artist is Dar Williams. Again awesome lyrics. If you have a child leaving the nest I definitely love The One Who Knows. I put these lyrics on my daughters graduation announcement. Tear jerker!
http://www.darwilliams.com/

I hope I have given you some things to look into this week and I hope you enjoy! I am just about healed up. Feeling much better so I will be spending a lot of time editing my portraits from the last week now that I can sit at the computer again. I did a couple of really fun sessions last week. I may have to force you to look at some of my images!

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Sherri, it was a delight to read. Geraldine Brooks' books sound truly interesting, I shall definitely be trying to get my hands on a copy. Thank you for providing an marvellous and articulate review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're on the mend. I'm going to look for Geraldine Brooks the next time I'm in Half Price Books. Thanks for the post.

    xoxo, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherri, thank you for stopping by my blog and for you nice comment. I too love the picture of my grandkids. My daughter's friend took the picture. She kind of just does it as a side-line and is pretty much self taught. Here is a post she put on her blog of my newest grandbaby girl. http://bloggingwithbrittany.blogspot.com/2010/07/little-miss-l.html
    I keep meaning to post them but haven;t gotten around to it yet

    ReplyDelete