Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Scarry Mom faces get you pretty far

Last night this is what I saw in my rear view mirror as I pulled into a gas station to fill up.


My first thought was...

"I need to get out of his way so he can get to who ever his is pulling over."

Then I thought...

"Maybe he is pulling me over. I better pull up in a parking space instead at a pump."


Sure enough he was walking toward me. I opened the door with what I am sure was a very confused look.

He says. "Mam, (Mam- really, when did I get old?) I am pulling you over because your plates are expired. Can I see your registration please?"

Ghrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


OK, in 2 seconds several emotions ran through me.

1st-I can't believe Miranda didn't renew her license when she was home at Christmas like we told her to!!!!!!!

2nd-I have no idea where or if she has this stuff in the glove compartment like she should. What do I do if I can't find it.

3rd-God please I can't afford what this is going to cost me

and 4th- because I was headed to the laundry, the car was full of dirty clothes. I worried, this guy is going to think I'm a homeless person living in my car.


After a very angry, frustrated expression crosses my face, I reach for the glove compartment and begin to explain or actually start babbling...

"I have no idea, this is my daughters car. I am driving it because my car has been over heating and she is away at college." Then with a very stern, irritated look I said, "I can't believe my daughter didn't get the plates renewd when we told her to!"

He says "You can just give me your license."

As he looks at my license he kinda chuckles.

I say as I look down embarrassed " Yeah, I worked for the Sheriff's dept. for 9 Months earlier this year."

He says, "Yeah, it's OK you are only getting a warning." He knew my name also because he is related to my husband's family . He pointed out who he was and went to check my stats. When he came back I thanked him and asked how we would get the license renewed if my daughter is out of state. He was very kind and gave me instructions.


I'm not sure if it is because of who I was

or

because of the Very Angry Mom face that convinced him I wasn't lying.



I am just grateful he had mercy on me. I have been driving this car for the past month and had no idea the license was expired. I had my husband call the daughter when I got home to get the ball rolling. She told him she would call me the next day when I cooled down. Lol, I must really be scarry.

3 comments:

  1. YEAH!! Very Angry mom and scary too! You ROCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, I know that Mom face. I have a teacher face, too. That one can be even more effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Small towns have their advantages....someone always knows someone. In your case, related! Just today we were talking about getting pulled over by a cop. I wish I could cry, but I usually go in to full defensive/mean mode. Which by the way, doesn't work. ha. My husband keeps all of us current on registrations but I have a heavy, heavy foot on the accelator. Glad you just got a warning.

    xoxo, Julia

    ReplyDelete