Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Welcome To My Parlor

I'll start off with wishes for a Merry Christmas to all of you.

I thought I'd share with you some Christmas decorations and views of my parlor.

In my Grandparents 1800's farm house there are 2 front rooms that have doors opening to a large front porch. I am not sure why there are two doors to 2 adjacent rooms but one has always been used as a formal living room and the other is used as the master bedroom.

Lucky for me, I can continue to use this living room to indulge my love of shabby cottage and vintage finds. The soft yellow walls work well with my blue and pink items. There is another room that has been used as a dinning room/family room so my husband uses it to watch TV and have his computer.

So, here is a holiday glimpse of my vintage feminine personal space, decorated just for me.


I gave up the family live tree the last few years due to finances and just decorate my pre-lit tree with the soft white, pink and gold decorations that make me happy. I plan on dividing up the family ornaments between the girls this year so they will have decorations for their own trees.

I love this angel. She isn't old but she matches the era I love so much.


This is the view I like to look at when I am reading on the couch. The fireplace is closed off but with the beautiful grate, I draw attention to it by lighting lots of different sized candles to replicate the fire. This is my favorite ritual each evening I can spend here reading.

(Hopefully soon I'll be surfing the net here too!)

Now you can envision me writing my blog and reading yours here in this room.

I wanted to decorate the mantel with live evergreens and candles but I could not purchase them and I was disappointed to find out we have no evergreens on the property. So I just left what I had just put on the mantle after moving in and added a few of my old favorites.


Do you see the awesome mirror and gilded frame? I got that this spring at an auction for $15.00! I had no idea what I was going to do with it. I just had to have it. I thought maybe I'd paint it white and sell it in my Etsy shop. Who knew it would be perfect in my new home just as it was.


Absolutely LOVE this grate!


My first stocking my Mom made me over 50 years ago.


I will leave you with this wonderful antique Santa that belonged to my Mom.

Isn't he wonderful? I'm sure he actually hung in this house at one time.

I think his face looks like the man in the moon but he is old and shabby and just awesome :)


I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and make new memories with your loved ones where ever you find yourself this year.


















3 comments:

  1. You so need to come to my house and make it look as beautiful as yours! Wow!!! Have a Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Parlor looks lovely. Older homes do hold mysteries sometimes. I am fortunate to live in a community where histories behind homes are very well known. Your windows would look lovely with curtains over the lace curtains. I need to make shades for that window - it faces the western sun and gets quite bright!
    I hope you have a Merry Christmas,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas Day has flown past. Just now I have a quiet moment between bouts of after-Christmas sale shopping. I wanted to stop by and wish you all the joys of the season. As the quiet week approaches, may you find time to do all the things you most love. May you know, each day, how very blessed and loved you are. Happy Holidays, friend. ~ Relyn

    ReplyDelete