Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Book Addict...Who Me?

I Want to share with you a problem I have. After you read this you may take me off you favorites list but I will risk it!





I have an addiction







An obsession really





I neglect my family, cleaning, tv watching even social gatherings for this obsession. (unless it involves this problem, Then I'm all over it!) It has caused me to spend money needlessly and and spend hours in stores I should not even go into EVER again. At least for a few years!





What is this horrible addiction you ask?

BOOKS and READING!



This is the Awesome old pie safe I just had to have for my blue living room! It was just perfect for the growing stack of books that were overflowing from my Grandfathers smallish bookcase in the next photo. I put all the books I want to read right away in here so I could figure out where to go next. As you can see, I think there are enough books here for at least a couple of years and these are just the ones I want to read RIGHT NOW, Like I want to finish these by the end of 2009. Ha, right.



Did I mention I am in a book club? We read a different book each month and then get together and have a theme party if possible around the books subject! We have great fun and have been meeting for over 12 years now. I remember when I was asked to join the group. I said I didn't think I could finish a book in a month. Wow, I wasn't sure if I could keep up or was smart enough to be in a book club. for a few years I was actually in 2 different clubs. So when am I going to fit in my own books? Why do I keep buying more books? I do buy from library sales and used book stores. That is the problem I can't turn down a good deal.

Well this is bookcase #2 where I used to keep the books I needed to read. It belonged to my Grandfathers Mom and was passed down to me from my Mom.
This is what I call The still to be read bookcase!



I have to brag here...The painting above the chair was painted by my aspiring fashion designer daughter that lives in Chicago right now going to school. Isn't she talented? Thanks.

Also, notice our lovely, cute and oh so loving kitty, Arah. He is sleeping coz he had a late night catting around last night. lol.

And this is the 1st book case I actually bought at an auction (I was so proud I won it!) to hold the few books I had in our home at the time, just for looks. Ha ha ha. They were antique books and such. Nothing I would possibly take time from my darling babies and my cross stitching and tv watching, to actually read! Why, I couldn't read. My teachers in grade school told me that. I was always in with the slower readers. I hated to read! I do remember liking Dick and Jane. I can still remember the smell of those books at school. And don't tell my teachers but I can remember chewing on the top of the book binding edge. Oh, I was suppose to be reading the book? Not eating it? Well when there is no food at home you got to do what you got to do. lol.

Just kidding, Glad my Mom can't read this.

Anyway, Thank goodness I had a wonderful teacher in 5th grade who didn't believe we should be separated and made us all read out loud taking turns. She encouraged all of us that we could all read well. Believe me I really stepped up my game when I knew I was going to have to read OUT LOUD! Then we had the opportunity to buy book from the Scholastic book flyer. As I look back now I am so thankful that my Mom let me buy those books. We really didn't have a lot of money but she let me get a book every time those papers were sent home.

I was never a book worm or really dedicated to reading in school like other kids but I did enjoy many books throughout my high school years but gave it up after that for crafts, photography and tv.

I want to thank my friend Betsy who encouraged me 12 years ago to give the club a try. I have read a lot of wonderful book since then and grown as a person because of it. I started this blog entry because I wanted to post an interview done at Borders Books on line about one of the books I so enjoyed. After listening to Sara's interview the book became even more special to me. If you have not read "Water For Elephants" by Sara Gruen please do and here is the link to the interview she did quite awhile ago http://www.bordersmedia.com/bookclub/gruen

I hope you enjoy reading as I do and I have the book selector thing here so you can see what I am enjoying. Support your local libraries and book stores!

3 comments:

  1. hello and thanks so much for stopping by my blog. the way that you have stacks of books is how i am with magazines. i love 'em and look at them over and over and over, like a toddler with their favorite board book!

    how fun that you have your book club and places for your books around your home. your daughter's painting is amazing.

    happy reading!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many things to address, I don't know where to start!

    I love the pie safe.

    Your daughter's painting is fantastic.

    I WAS a bookworm as a kid, but very rarely got to order the Scholastic books. So jealous.

    Water for Elephants is a great book. I really enjoyed it.

    Great post! Thanks for glimpse into your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your visit and comment on my blog....I, too, love reading and your post just makes me want to follow your blog all the more!!
    xojanis

    ReplyDelete