Wednesday, June 6, 2012


I got my door!!!


I was driving past this house the other day and saw it leaning on the garage.  They had torn the house down last week and I wondered about the door.  The man said they were thinking of keeping it but he would let me know if I could have it.
It was just leaning there for almost a week.  He didn't call and I kept driving past everyday on the way to work thinking, someone is going to steal it. 

Sunday my husband and I were driving home from dinner when I got a call on my cell.  It was the neighbor of this house and a friend.  She said her husband went over to introduce himself to the new neighbor who is tearing down the house.  The man said " I have the door here waiting for your friend but I don't have her number."  My friend called right away. 

We just happened to have my husbands van so we went right over!
I had not told my husband about the door, haha.  So he had no idea what this was all about.

Husbands just don't get the need to rescue beautiful junk.

As we were loading up the (very heavy) probably 90+ year old door, the wife and I were discussing the joy of finding old, rusty, chippy stuff.  Our husbands just smiled and shook their heads.

The best news of all
The door was FREE!
The man did not charge me anything.  He never really said a price but I was afraid he was going to try to gouge me since he knew how much I loved that door.

So, next job is to find a really cool place for it.  I envision it to be a door to a secret garden.  The place I wanted to plant didn't get worked on so the real dream won't happen probably till next year but I'll start working on the garden.  For now it is sitting along the shed by some other plantings and an old chair and window, so I will enjoy it here this season.

2 comments:

  1. It is an exceptional door. And the best thing about it is that it's a door, that it comes with all the beautiful metaphors. So when you imagine a door to a secret garden my mind lights up! Just the idea of a door being opened to people you care about and welcome into your world, that shelters an interior just enough to keep it safe, but still leads out into the world. Congratulations on your wonderful find. And I too haven't met too many men who understand the idea of old chippy stuff! But if you tell them about the old rusty Corvette you found in an old barn, they would definitely understand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great door! and a pleasant surprise, it being free!

    ReplyDelete