Monday, November 7, 2011

Finished Retro Farmhouse Kitchen

Here are some images of my finished 30's kitchen!


It has taken me a bit to get this room done and (clean enough) to get a photo shoot done.

With my new job and still unpacking and decorating the other rooms in the house, I have not had time to finish making my cafe curtains and pulling all the little extras together.

Yesterday I decided it was the day for the shoot.

I just loved putting this look together to compliment my Grandmothers old sink and metal cabinets. You can go back a few blog entries to see what we started with.

Stacking table linens has been fun. I had a few red items that I had purchased to make stuff from for my Etsy shop. Who knew that I would need them myself. I did have a bit of trouble finding a green and red table cloth that I wanted for this room redo. Most 30's and 40's red linens were combined with either a turquoise green or blue. I wanted to match the green I had chosen for the walls that matched the vintage kitchen utensils I had. I finally found the cute little cloth with the plates and coffee pot at an antique show.


I love the white bead board. It really made the room brighter and tied in with the built in cupboard beside the stove.
See those glasses in the drainer? Those were my Grandma's! They were the perfect color.
I am a collector of bowls and I am happy they fit in with the decor.

The knife holder was in the old wash house. I could not believe it was in the colors I had picked.

The post holders were to go on pillows but they will remain mine now. Aren't they so cute. I have such an appreciation for the work these ladies put into making these cute potholders.



So, here is really where we put what we already had to good use. I needed a table of some sort to hold the microwave. I just missed purchasing a really great porcelain top white cabinet at the antique show I was at by 10 minutes. I didn't get it when I first saw it and when I went back a man was writing a check for it. We had this sofa table but it really didn't fit in either of the living rooms so here it is in the kitchen and really, it is perfect. Shelves to hold all the extra stuff.

The little wooden shelf was in the house.

The linens I had to craft with.

The cafe curtains started out as 1 single panel that came in a box lot that I was going to cut up for the pillows I make. When I came across it and it was the perfect size to be cut in half, it became my inspiration piece for this room. I cheated and only had to put the top rod pocket on one panel and hem the other.

I picked up the vegetable holder at a garage sale along with the paper towel holder in the bottom shot. The clock is from Target. Perfect retro style.

I really like having a smaller kitchen. I have a lot less walking and less counter top to clean. With just the 2 of us now it is perfect.


I'm working on my living room now so I hope to have regular images of it before I start decorating for Christmas.












6 comments:

  1. Wow What a great room Sherri! Maybe you will be able to find vintage red and green during the holiday season. I have seen a lot that weren't holiday patterns but colors in the past...glad to hear you soooo happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl, am I ever in LOVE with your kitchen! I love the red and green. That's what i had in my Highland home. since moving into our new home, some things that I love just don't work. We are planning on finishing our basement next winter. I want to do it in red, white, and green. I have alot of cherry items and vintage cooking utinsels I want to use. Your hotpads and curtains are so cute. I too pick up items to use in the future. I bought a farm sink to use downstairs. Hubby sometimes shakes his head. I always say, "You'll be glad when the time comes and I already have alot of what we need." Thanks for your sweet comment about my laundry room. I am so glad you found me, because now I found you. Following now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute kitchen. I can so relate to all the hard work you have put into your re-vamp. I wanted to start working in my kitchen first but wasn't able to get to it until several months later. You have the right idea. Thanks for visiting my blog and following. I'm also your newest follower. So glad that you liked the bucket idea for your recyclables. Hope to see you soon! Johnnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that kitchen is lovely. I love everything about what you did. That green paint is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute kitchen. It's so nice that you were able to go retro and use some of your grandmother's things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right: your kitchen is filled with vintage charm!! Well done; I know you will enjoy many wonderful years in your home, much like your grandmother did!

    ReplyDelete